Friday, May 22, 2009

Daily Activities

 

Friday 12:00-4:00 PM:

 

Today was our last day of Senior Project. Hunter and I were scheduled to meet with Diane around 12 this afternoon. Diane had a lunch to go to so we were told that she would be late. While we waited for Diane’s arrival Hunter and I reviewed everything we’ve done these past three weeks, recapping on our ups and downs. Then when Diane arrived we met with our first scheduled patient of the day, which was a man who was coming to see Diane for his first evaluation. He had been feeling some pain and discomfort in his lower back but was unsure of how it all started. He had recently seen a Doctor and was told that it may be due to a previous knee injury he had undergone and since then his body had been compensating for. Diane examined the patient making sure that his back, legs, and pelvis were properly aligned and then found that the patient was actually very tight in his lower back which would probably be the cause of the lower back pain. Diane also found that his pelvis was not properly aligned. The right side of his pelvis was rotated slightly forward compared to his left side. To fix this Diane put the patients leg above her shoulder and had him push for seven seconds. She had him do this three times and when she was done I was amazed to see how the alignment had changed from that simple exercise. Diane finished by massaging his back, doing some ultra sound and then applying some electrical stimulation. Our next patient was a teacher form the Andover Elementary School. Diane allowed me to apply ultra sound on the patient's shoulder which I loved because I got to be a little more involved with the patient. That was followed by some electrical stimulation on her shoulder. Our last patient of the day arrived and she did some exercises on the bike, did some leg exercises with weights and then finished off with some electrical stimulation.

Overall this was a pretty good day at the office, unfortunately it was our last but I had a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment