Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekly Reflection

 

This first week at Ragged Mountain was a lot of fun for me. Ever since I started taking the Anatomy and Physiology class this year I have found a new passion for the study of the human body. I was a little nervous going into the first week because I wasn’t really sure what to expect but I ended up learning a lot in these past few days. Physical Therapy is not just about fixing a problem with the body but it’s about becoming friends with your patients and showing them that you care.

My curiosity for what a Physical Therapist actually does was growing and I was excited to see what it was all about. The first day of senior Project was probably my favorite of the week We were able to meet with many patients in one day and was definitely very exciting.  I had the opportunity to have a conversation with Mr. Brewster who was a very active 81-year-old man. After speaking with him about many of his injuries throughout his appointment, as he was leaving he mentioned how he wasn’t sure what he would do after his hip was fixed because he would no longer have to come back to Diane. This made me smile because I could see how much Diane’s efforts meant to him. It made me smile to see how being a physical therapist really does affect people not only physically but also on a more personal level. I hope that someday I will be able to have the same impact on people, maybe even as a Physical Therapist.

After this first week I have already gained a better understanding of how to deal with patients and their injuries. I have learned a lot about the body, exercises to help certain areas that hurt and a lot about the knee joint and how that works. Physical Therapy requires a lot of work, schooling, and learning. I’m excited that I have this opportunity to experience what Diane Fowler does every day and I’m excited to start again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely a "people person" type of profession. I'm glad you're having a great experience - you certainly have a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete