Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Daily Activities

 

Wednesday 8:30-11:30 AM:

 

 

Today I continued my research on the shoulder joint. My research specifically targeted the ligaments that are involved in holding the shoulder joint together. For many that don’t know a ligament is soft tissue that connects bone to bone. There are several ligaments in the shoulder that are very important and they are divided into three main groups. The Glenohumeral Ligament (GHL) is the main source of stability for the shoulder and is what helps prevent the shoulder from dislocating. It forms a joint capsule around the head of the Humerus, which is a watertight sac that surrounds a joint. Another group of ligaments is the Coraco-acromial Arch (CAL). This group spans across the bony projections of the Coracoid process and the Acromian Process. The last groups are the Coracoclavicular Ligaments (CCL) and the Acromioclavicular Ligaments. The CCL attaches the Clavicle to the Coracoid Process of the Scapula. This group is very strong and keeps the Scapula attached to the Clavicle. The Acromioclavicular Ligament is what joins the Clavicle to the Acromian Process.

I spent most of my day taking notes on these groups and some other features of the shoulder. It’s amazing to see how many different parts come together to help the shoulder function. Each one has a special job and like a team they all come together for one purpose. As I learn more about the human body and what it does on a daily basis I become more and more fascinated! I can’t wait to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment